|Sutee Kunavichayanont was born in Bangkok in 1965, graduated with a Bachelor’s degree in Fine Arts from Silpakorn University in 1989, and later obtained a Master’s degree in Visual Arts from the University of Sydney.
Sutee’s practice is noted for its layered conceptual approach as much as for its ability to engage a wide audience through participatory strategies, his desk installation History Class of 2000, and his inflated latex series, two of the Southeast Asian contemporary canon’s most famous and well-loved pieces.
Thematically, his work reflects the rapid social, economic and political changes that have affected Thailand since the 1990s, the artist using his art to critically probe nationalism, power, identity, history and cultural convention in Thailand and beyond. Producing pieces in a wide variety of media, the artist mines familiar formal languages to engage the viewer in a playful examination of complex questions.
Since 1986, the artist has exhibited widely in Thailand, Singapore, Korea, Australia, Japan, the United Kingdom, the Netherlands and the United States. Sutee’s art is in major institutional collections including the Mori Art Museum, The Queensland Art Gallery, Fukuoka Asian Art Museum, Singapore Art Museum, and KOC Foundation, Istanbul.
As well as making art, Sutee is a curator and a lecturer at Silpakorn University. The artist works and lives in Bangkok.
By Iola Lenzi
|Born||1965, Bangkok, Thailand|
|1985-1989||B.F.A. (Graphic Arts), Faculty of Painting, Sculpture and Graphic Arts, Silpakorn University, Bangkok.|
|1992-1993||Master of Visual Arts, Sydney College of the Arts, University of Sydney, Australia.|
|27th October 1994||Lecturer|
|16th November 2001||Assistant Professor|
|27th May 2010||Associate Professor|
|2011||Head of the Department of Art Theory|
|Full time lecturer at the Department of Art Theory, the Faculty of Painting, Sculpture and Graphic Arts, Silpakorn University, Bangkok, Thailand.|
|The Faculty of Painting, Sculpture and Graphic Arts, Silpakorn University, Wang Tha Phra, Bangkok 10200|
|Work Phone & Fax Number||02-225-8991|
|1991||- From the Outside Looking In, New England Regional Art Museum, Armidale, Australia.|
- Void and Emptiness, First Draft (West), NSW, Australia.
|1994||- Flowing Tide, Silom Art Space, Bangkok.|
|1995||- The White Elephants of Siam, The Art Gallery of the Faculty of Painting, Sculpture and Graphic Arts, Silpakorn University, Bangkok.|
|1997||- The Myth of an Asian Tiger, Galerie Gauche, Ecole nationale superieure des Beaux-Arts, Paris, France.|
|1998||- Rain Drops-Pig’s Shit Running, TADU Contemporary Art, Bangkok.|
|1999||- Burden of Joy, Bangkok University Art Gallery, Bangkok.|
|2000||- 4 Days, Elephant Breath Donation and History Class, Silpakorn University Art Gallery, Bangkok.|
|2001||- Inflatable Nostalgia, Atelier Frank & Lee, Singapore.
- Siamese Twins, Thai Art Foundation, Amsterdam, the Netherlands.
- Elephant, Optica, Montreal, Canada.
- Baby Elephant, Musashino Art University, Tokyo, Japan.
|2005||- Stereotyped Thailand, 100 Tonson Gallery, Bangkok.|
|2010||- Half Truth, Phuket 346, Phuket, Thailand.
- Longing for Siam, Inventing Thailand, Number 1 Gallery, Bangkok.
|2011||- Floating, WTF, Bangkok.|
|2012||- Crazily Good!, Number 1 Gallery, Bangkok.
- The World Without Politics, Valentine Willie Fine Art, Singapore.
|2016||- Animal Club, Number 1 Gallery, Bangkok, Thailand.|
|2018||- HAPPY THAIs, Number 1 Gallery, Bangkok, Thailand.|
|1986,88,89||- The 3rd, 5th, 6th Exhibition of Contemporary Art by Young Artist, Bangkok.|
|1987,89||- The 3rd, 35th National Exhibition of Art, Bangkok.|
|1989,90||- Contemporary Art Exhibition, Bangkok.|
|1990||- International Exhibition of Graphic Art, Freshen, Western Germany.
- The 5th Busan Biennial, Busan, Korea.
|1990, 1995-2000||- The 7th,12th-17th Art Exhibition by the Members of the Faculty of Painting, Silpakorn University, Bangkok.|
|1991||- The 6th International Print Biennale, Varna’91, Bulgaria.
- Figurative Colours, The Faculty of Painting Sculpture and Graphic Arts’ Gallery, Bangkok.
|1992||- Art Works Four, Melbourne, Australia.|
|1994||- 2537, Thailand Cultural Centre, Bangkok|
|1996||- The 3rd Art Exhibition by the Cobalt Blue Group, The National Art Gallery, Bangkok.
- Golden Jubilee Art Exhibition: 50 Years of Thai Art, Queen Sirikit National Convention Center, Bangkok.
- Into the Next Decade, Tadu Contemporary Art, Bangkok.
|1997||- Contemporary Fine Arts Exhibition, Hanoi Fine Arts Institute and Hue College of Arts, Vietnam.
- Thai Vision I, California Polytechnic State University, USA
- Artists Who Become Preservers of Western Tropical Forest, Marsi Gallery, Bangkok.
|1998||- 8 Artistes Thais a Paris, a la Maison des Arts Europe-Asie Paris, France.
- Books, Kruru Sapa Publishing House, Bangkok.
- Report from the Forest 1998, National Gallery, Bangkok.
- Bangkok Art Project 1998, outdoor art exhibition in Bangkok.
|1999||- Alter Ego, Thai-EU Collaborative Project, work with Danny Devos, Bangkok.
- Jardins Secrets, Art dans la Ville, Saint-Etienne, France.
- 26th Century, Self Examination by Cobalt Blue Group, National Gallery, Bangkok.
- No Guarantee, Sydney College of the Arts Gallery, Australia.
- Trace, Liverpool Biennial of Contemporary Arts, Liverpool, UK.
- 10 Asian Artists in Resident, Mattress Factory, Pittsburgh, USA
|2000||- Thai Contemporary Art 2000, Art Centre, Silpakorn University, Bangkok.
- Town Invade Forestry, the Artists Preserve Western Tropical Forest, National Gallery, Bangkok.
- While You Were Sleeping, Alliance Francaise International Art School’s Students and Teachers, Space Contemporary Art, Bangkok.
- The Beauty of Democracy, Public Art Exhibition, 100 Years of Pridi Banomyong and Thai Society, Thanon Rachadamnoen Klang, Bangkok.
- keep your distance, Tadu Contemporary Arts, (Bangkok), Plastique Kinetic Worms, (Singapore).
- 5th Live Art 2000, Concrete House, Nonthaburi.
- The Glocal Scents of Thailand, Edsvik konst och kultur, Sweden.
- Thai Art 2000, Thai Art Foundation, Amsterdam, the Natherlands.
- Euro Visions, the Faculty of Painting, Sculpture and Graphic Arts Art Gallery, Silpakorn University, Bangkok.
|2001||- Writing Thai: a Learning Reform, Baby Elephants, Galerie des arts visuels, Quebec, Canada.
- The End of Growth?, Art Museum of Chiang Mai University, Chiang Mai, Art Centre of Silpakorn University, Bangkok.
- keep your distance, National Art Gallery, (Kuala Lumpur), Biz Art, (Shanghai), Moris Gallery, (Tokyo), le credac, centre d’art d’ivry, (France).
- History & Memory, The Art Center, Chulalongkorn University and the Art Museum, Chieng Mai University.
- Cologne Meets Bangkok, Bangkok Meets Cologne, Kunstwerk, Cologne, Germany.
|2002||- Bangkok Meets Cologne, Cologne Meets Bangkok, Silpakorn University Art Gallery, Bangkok.
- Thin Skin: The Fickle Nature of Bubbles, Spheres, and Inflatable Structure, AXA Gallery, New York, Scottsdale Museum of Contemporary Art, Arizona
- Imagined Workshop, the 2nd Fukuoka Asian Art Triennale 2002, Fukuoka Asian Art Museum, Japan.
- La Sagesse, Grand Arch, Paris, France.
- Site+Sight, Translating Cultures, BA Fine Art, LASALLE-SIA College of the Arts, Singapore.
- No Worries! Mai Pen Rai, Art from Australia and Thailand, Monash University Museum of Art, Victoria, Australia.
- Art, Religion, Faith, Vision, The Art Center, Chulalongkorn University, Bangkok.
- Within, Art in General, New York.
- Thai Contemporary Art Exhibition Project on the Auspicious Occasion of the 60th Anniversary of Silpakorn University, Silpakorn University Art Centre, Bangkok.
|2003||- La Sagesse, The Atelier, Bangkok.
- Next Move, Contemporary Art from Thailand, Earl Lu Gallery, LASALLE-SIA College of the Arts, Singapore.
- Art in Box, Galleria Plaza, Bangkok.
- Silpa Bhirasri Creativity Grants 2002, Silpakorn University Art Centre, Bangkok.
- 14 October, View from Artists, Jamjuree Art Gallery, Chulalongkorn University, Bangkok.
- Asian Contemporary Art Exhibition: Parallel Time, Art Museum of China Academy of Arts, Hang Zhou, China.
- Tiger’s Eye: Assorted Asian Tigers, Proud Camden, London, UK.
|2004||- Identities Versus Globalisation, Chiang Mai Art Museum, Chiang Mai (Feb 7-29), the National Art Gallery, Bangkok, Thailand (May 8-28) and Dahlem Museum, Berlin, Germany (Oct 22, 04-Jan 16, 05)
- Living Art-Regional Artists Respond to HIV/AIDS, The Queen’s Gallery, Bangkok, Thailand.
- Somchai Nilapaijit’s Portrait, 14 October Memorial, Bangkok (24-26 May)
- Welcome to Soi Sabai, graf media gm, Osaka, Japan.
- Art Summit Indonesia IV, 2004: Performance and Visual Arts, Jakarta, Indonesia (Sep 10-Oct. 10)
- Les Panoramiques, Optica, Montreal, Canada.
|2005||- Silpa Bhudda, The Queen’s Gallery, Bangkok.
- Thai Festival, Auditorium Parco della Musica, Rome, Italy.
- Arts for Smiles, Museum Hall Siam Commercial Bank (24-30 June)
- Neo-Nationalism, The Art Center, Chulalongkorn University, Bangkok, (7 Nov-17 Dec)
|2006||- Temporary Art Museum Soi Sabai, Pla Dib, Bangkok (11-17 Feb)
- A-Z, Hirosaki, Japan
- Tout a Fait Thai, Place Saint-Sulpice, Paris, France. (15-30 September)
- Red Art Award 2, Pridi Banomyong Institute, Bangkok.
- The 5th Asia-Pacific Triennial of Contemporary Art, Queensland Art Gallery/Gallery of Modern Art, Brisbane, Queensland.
|2006-2007||- The Art Exhibition, Celebration Art in the Reign of King Rama 9, 6 Decade of Thai Art, Queen’s Gallery, Bangkok. (8 December-11 February).|
|2007||- Show Me Thai, on the 120th Anniversary of Japan-Thailand Diplomatic Relations, Museum of Contemporary Art, Tokyo. (18 April-20 May)
- Experience, Project Zero : Festival of Art & Culture by OKMD, Central World, Bangkok. (9-10 June)
- So Close / So Far Away, Crac Alsace, Altkirch, France, Be-Part, Waregem, Belgium, Het Domein, the Netherlands. (2007-2008)
- Religious Beliefs and Contemporary, Social Phenomena of Southern East Asia, Guangdong Museum of Art, China.
- Aumnad suengsood nan pen kong ratsadon tank rai, Sculpture Garden, Thammasat University (23 June-1 July).
- Krongkan sangsan jitakam bantuenk prawattisad nai peudti koh Ratthanakosin, Queen Gallery, Bangkok (August)
- Kids of the World, Challenger Hall 2-3, Impact Muang Thong Thani, Bangkok. (29 September-7 October)
|2007-2008||- Art of Corruption, OCAC Art Gallery, Bangkok.|
|2008||- Beasts, Breasts & Beauty, Contemporary Southeast Asian Art from Private Collection, SG Private Banking Gallery, Alliance Française de Singapour, Singapore.
- Fidelity Not Fealty, H Gallery, Bangkok. (3 July-28 August, curated by Connelly Lamar)
- More to Love, the Art of Living Together, TK Park, Bangkok (24 July-15 August, curated by Chattiya Nitpolprasert)
- Flashback ’76, Pridi Banomyong Institute, Bangkok (2-23 August)
- Krung Thep 226, Bangkok Art Culture Centre. (16 December 2008-15 February 2009, curated by Luckana Kunavichayanont and Apisak Sonjod)
- Bangkok-Shizuoka Aesthetics the Relationship Art Exhibition, (8th-27th December, the Princess Art Gallery, Sanamchandra Palace Campus, Silpakorn University)
|2009||- Asean Contemporary Art Exchange, Myanmar.
- Art ’80, HOF Art (28 February-25 April)
- Silpakorn-Guangzhou Art Exhibition & Seminar 2009, the Art Museum of Guangzhou Academy of Fine Arts, China. (10 April-10 May)
- Silpakorn-Guangzhou Art Exhibition & Seminar 2009, Art Centre, Silpakorn University, (2-28 November)
- 26th Art Exhibition by the Members of the Faculty of Painting, PSG Art Gallery, Silpakorn University, Bangkok.
|2010||- Imagine Peace, Bangkok Art and Culture Centre, Bangkok (24th June-22nd August) (work entitled : Heaven and Hell are Within
- Chair-Share: 27th Art Exhibition by the Members of the Faculty of Painting, PSG Art Gallery, Silpakorn University, Bangkok. (work entitled : Santi, Ahinksa (Peace, Non-Violance) and National Reconciliation
|2011||- 28th Art Exhibition by the Members of the Faculty of Painting, PSG Art Gallery, Silpakorn University, Bangkok.
- Negotiating Home, History and Nation: Two decades of contemporary art in Southeast Asia 1991 – 2011, Singapore Art Museum. (curated by Iola Lenzi)
|2012||28th Art Exhibition by the Members of the Faculty of Painting, BACC, Bangkok. (work entitled : Reversed Motherland, United Flags (Line) and United (Colours)
- 29th Art Exhibition by the Members of the Faculty of Painting, PSG Art Gallery, Silpakorn University, Bangkok.
- Art Exhibition by Klum Silapin Duan Pluendsapa.
- 20 Years Pluendsapa Prachadham, Ratchadamnoen Road. (work entitled : My Motherland)
- You are not Alone, BACC, Bangkok. (work entitled : Love Now)
- Thai-American, Silpakorn University Art Centre, Nakon Pathom. (work entitled : My Motherland)
- Thai Trends from Localism to Internationalism, BACC, Bangkok. (work entitled : The Class)
|2013||- Graduated Emergence, Number 1 Gallery, Bangkok. (work entitled : Remains-Fade Away and Through the Looking Glass
- Subjective Truth, 10 Chancery Lane Gallery, Hong Kong. (curated by Iola Lenzi) (work entitled : The Class and Remains-Fade Away
- The Beginning : 30th Art Exhibition by the Members of the Faculty of Painting, PSG Art Gallery, Silpakorn University, Bangkok. (Work entitled : Taken)
- We=Me : ASEAN Art Exhibition and Symposium, The Art Centre Silpakorn Univerity. (August-September) (work entitled : Longing for Siam, Inventing Thailand (Siamese/Thai Map)
- Arts & Community Festival (Sam Plak), Sam Plak Community, Bangkok, 21-22 Dec. (work entitled : Crazily Good! (Desks) and History Class (White Man’s Burdens)
- The Royal Father in Our Hearts, O.P.Place, Bangkok.
- Concept, Context} Contestation : Art and the Collective in Southeast Asia, BACC. (curated by Iola Lenzi, Vipash Purichanont and Agung Hujatnikajennong) (work entitled : History Class Part 2)
|2014||- Roving Eye : Contemporary Art from Southeast Asia, Arter Space for Art, Istanbul, Turkey. 17 September 2014-4 January 2015. (curated by Iola Lenzi) (work entitled : History Class Part 2), Black Board 1 and Black Board 2
- ASEAN WAY : Show Your I.D. and Sign Here, Please!, 31st Art Exhibition by Members of the Faculty of Painting, Sculpture and Graphic Arts, Silpakorn University, PSG Art Gallery, Bangkok.
- Art on the Coffee Table II, Impact Arena Muang Thong Thani.
- Cubic Museum : International Exchange Exhibition between Aichi University of the Arts and Silpakorn University, Silpakorn University Art Centre. (15-30 December)
|2015||- ASEAN WAY : Show Your I.D. and Sign Here, Please!, 31st Art Exhibition by Members of the Faculty of Painting, Sculpture and Graphic Arts, New Space Arts Foundation, Hue, Vietnam. (15-30 January)|
|1995||- Long Table and Stairway to Heaven, Installation and Performance with Paradix K, at Kitaza, Kyoto, Japan.|
|Book (in Thai)|
|2003||- Jak Siam Kaw Su Thai Mai (From Old Siam to New Thai,)|
|2011||- Rianroo Silpa Thai : Tasanasilpa (Learning Thai Art : Visual Arts). Bangkok : Thailand Knowledge Park.
- 10 Questions You Would Like to Know About Art, Bangkok Art Cultural Centre.
|Article (in Thai)|
|2003-2004|| - contributing writer to Sunday Krungthep Thurakit
- Siam Rath Sapdawichan, weekly newspaper
- Fine Art Magazine
|Editorial (in Thai & English)|
|2005-2006||- Death Before Dying : The Return of Montien Boonma (co editor with Apinan Poshyananda)|
|2005||- Those Dying Wishing to Stay, Those Living Preparing to Leave, Thai Pavilion, 51st International Art Exhibition La Biennale di Venezia, works by Montien Boonma and Araya Rasdjarmrearnsook, co-curate with Panya Vijinthanasarn and Luckana Kunavichayanont.|
|2008||- The Best of Discovery, ShContemporary Art (Thai section), Shanghai, China.
- Traces of Siamese Smile: Art+Faith+Politics+Love, (co-curated), Bangkok Art Culture Centre.
|2013||- Chalood’s Mural Painting-Retrospective, co-curate with Pakorn Klomklieng, Bangkok Art and Culture Centre.|
|Awards and Honours|
|1983||- Top Award Winner, Painting, The Fourth Children’s Art Exhibition of Thailand
- National Youth Bureau Award for Outstanding Young Artist Painting Category
|1989||- The Friendship Programme for the 21st Century, Japan.
- Award Winner (print), The Contemporary Art Competition, Thailand.
|2002||- Silpa Bhirasri Creativity Grants, Silpakorn University Art Centre.|
|2003||- Misiem Yipinsoi Grants, the Faculty of Painting, Sculpture and Graphic Arts.|
|2006||- Red Art Award 2, Pridi Banomyong Institute.|
|Thai Farmers Bank PCL., Bangkok
Thai Investment and Securities PCL.(TISCO), Bangkok
LASALLE College of the Arts, Singapore
Singapore Art Museum, Singapore
Fukuoka Asian Art Museum, Fukuoka, Japan
Mori Art Museum, Tokyo, Japan
H&F Collection, Amsterdam, the Netherland
Queensland Art Gallery, Brisbane, Australia
FEFW Collection, Museum of Contemporary Photography, Chicago, USA.
ARTER Foundation, Istanbul, Turkey